In the 19th century, sturgeons were abundant in the Garonne and Dordogne rivers. The specie of European sturgeon was known as Sturio (Acipenser sturio) and it was heavily fished for its meat.
In the beginning of the 20th century, the first Russian emigrants arrived in the Gironde Department. They explained to the local fishermen that it was preferable to fish the sturgeon for its roe and shared with them the secrets of caviar production.
Several caviar sellers set up operations between Saint Seurin d'Uzet and Blaye, but up until 1939, production remained quite limited. It was only after the Second World War that production exploded and the caviar made its way to Paris.
However, starting in the 1960s production tailed off and, in 1982, fishing for Sturio had to be banned altogether
What was the solution?
To protect the species in France, CEMAGREF (a research institute operating under the French ministry of agriculture) was put in charge of identifying a partner fish farm within France to welcome the Baerii sturgeon, a freshwater species imported from Syberia in 1976, in order to study the reproduction and raising of sturgeon in captivity.
CEMAGREF chose to search for this partner in the Aquitaine region, home to a thriving population of Sturio up until the 1970s.
And that is when they choose the farm where our caviar comes from.